Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

car won't start after its warm ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
car won't start after its warm ?

the car is running SD if that helps , I shut it down like normal letting it idle for 1 min and came back and it just cranks over and sputters a little but didnt want to start so i let it sit for a while and then it finally started , so i drove it a couple miles parked it letting it idle again for a min then tried to re start it just to see if it was ok and nope this time would not start at all , next morning the car starts up again so seems as tho its only after its warm , I can smell gas when trying to start it so i'm sure its getting plenty of fuel maybe to much perhaps , i just put fresh plugs in and still same issue , so i'm not sure whats going on once i get it running the car seems to drive fine and run good its just the starting process after being warm any ideas ?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm. Possibly excessive injector leakdown? A faulty coolant temp sensor could cause this as well. Any check engine lights or codes thrown?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:54 PM

no lights showing haven't checked for codes yet , but just changed the coolant temp sensor and still doing it
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

So how did the old plugs look? Where they wet or all fouled up? Once the car fails, check for spark. Could be an electrical malfunction related specifically to heat. Coil pack(s)? I mean it could be a whole bunch of different things...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:51 PM

ya they were fouled up for sure going to have my mechanic help me out will post the cure once i find it thanks for the input tho appreciate it
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah man, sure. It's just hard to guess from the bench without being there with the right tools for the diagnosis. Hope you get it sorted
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:10 PM

FIXED it was the Cam Position Sensor ! she runs great now
The following users liked this post:
Snowwhiteevo (Aug 12, 2017)
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome! So it ONLY acted up after you had driven it and then tried starting it again? Or what if you were to start it COLD then just let it idle until the engine got hot...would it then stall on it's own?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam position sensor gets hot through heat soak and the signal degrades. Happens alot on the older models (E4,5,6) over here in the uk. Starts fine when cold but not once warm...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

That's kinda what I was thinking. But once the car is running, what's stopping it stalling once the sensor is hot? I had a similar issue with my old Scirocco 16v. The hall sender on the distributor would test fine when cold but once the car warmed up, it stalled and the hall sender then tested bad.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:19 PM

well I didnt get to drive it much but maybe a mile once it all went bad so not sure if it would have stalled on me or not but , it would start up fine when cold and drive around find , but then not allow me to start unless it sat for a long time long enough to really fully cool down so not sure if it would have stalled while driving or not didn't want to chance that lol so i fixed it asap nothing like being on a busy road or intersection with a dead car it may have been both the cam sensor and the temp sensor i replaced not sure , not sure if its just my imagination but the car also seems to pull harder now and wind up smoother I also reset the ecu and it has new plugs in it so that could be part of it maybe , I wonder if the cam sensor goes bad if the car will pull timing and get more rich because , right before this happen it seems like the car would just have more power or less power at times , also might just be that the weather is colder and feels faster because of the cold air not sure : )
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Well the good thing is, you successfully fixed the issue. It's always nice when a few little things seem to make the car feel "new" again with power restored.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:53 PM

so there was no check engine light? but once u replaced the Cam Position Sensor it fixed the problem? let me know because im having the same exact issue . i would think it wasnt the sensor because it would throw a code but i could be wrong
Old Aug 12, 2017, 07:09 PM

Did you ever get a fix on that steveliu30033 mine is doing the same thing aswell lol.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:05 PM

any updates from you guys?

Quick Reply: car won't start after its warm ?