Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2011 Evo X GSR - 87 octane

Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
87 oct wont hurt a thing if you stay off boost.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oftheheavens
on average, it takes about 3 bottles of the regular OTS octane booster to get 1 octane rating.
Whaaaat?

So basically, that stuff is worthless and you're better off buying racing gas and using it as an additive to increase the octane rating of the gas in the tank?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyroscope
Gas attendant has to pump your gas? It's the law? How do you pay and who gives you your change? How do you pay by credit card?

Do you have to tip the attendant every time you pump gas? This is the most assinine law ive ever heard of.
It's the law there, the only good thing that comes to mind is that it helps create jobs in that state.

1. The attendant takes your cash, gives you your change.

2. If you pay by CC they swipe it then hand it back to you right after. Sign the receipt when done.

3. Tip is optional, I'll tip them on hot summer days or freezing winter days.

Almost forgot that a majority of them will clean your windows and windshield too.

Last edited by geevolution; Jul 26, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by acm_evo
Whaaaat?

So basically, that stuff is worthless and you're better off buying racing gas and using it as an additive to increase the octane rating of the gas in the tank?
yep. octane booster is a huge gimmick. there is brands that raise it 1 octane point, but they are few and far between. the good ones, state it on the back of the bottle.

there is meth additives that work fairly well from what i have heard.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, I'm tuned for 93 and a local gas station that I've been going to accident put 87(old Indian guy). At first we thought we would siphon it out but there is a fuel filter in the way so that's not possible. I ended up making the gas station tow my car to mitsu and pay for the tank to be dropped and emptied. I know that I could have just stayed out of boost an w.e but I shouldn't have to go out of my way and risk messing up my car- our cars aren't cheap.. And I'm good friends with my local dealership/ service dept. So I was glad to give them a $700+ since they give me a big discount.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by geevolution
It's the law there, the only good thing that comes to mind is that it helps create jobs in that state.
Oregon is the same way. I've driven in both states and it always pisses me off.

My understanding is that in Jersey it's some union job-creation BS, and that Oregon's rationale is safety-**** BS.

I LOLed a little at the questions about how the process works. Not because they were dumb questions, but because I'm old enough to remember when Full Service was normal. (Hell, I remember when gas pumps were not able to display the correct price of gas once it got above $1/gallon. The gas stations had to put litte "1" stickers on the pumps in front of the cents part of the price.)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Go buy a can of toulene from Home Depot and pour it in your tank.

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
OP, I'm tuned for 93 and a local gas station that I've been going to accident put 87(old Indian guy). At first we thought we would siphon it out but there is a fuel filter in the way so that's not possible. I ended up making the gas station tow my car to mitsu and pay for the tank to be dropped and emptied. I know that I could have just stayed out of boost an w.e but I shouldn't have to go out of my way and risk messing up my car- our cars aren't cheap.. And I'm good friends with my local dealership/ service dept. So I was glad to give them a $700+ since they give me a big discount.
LOL nice, I don't feel bad for that gas station at all
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

its not gonna knock on partial throttle and minimal boost. baby it for 1/4 a tank and find some unleaded 100-110 gas and fill it up and your fine. Or be patient and baby it for a full tank
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

As people have said, it should be fine if you baby it... mpgs will probably go down though.

One thing I haven't seen stated: You better get a FREE tank of gas out of that place! Take them the receipt, show them they f'ed up, and ask them to fill your tank properly. They should at least comp you a tank of gas for all this trouble.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the question is ~$60 loss worth a ~10K fix?

if not dump it.
Sometimes /many times failure comes later or you can trace it back for some mistake before.
Like you weakening out parts and they fail later. etc.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Been there. Don't do anything dramatic, just frive granny and burn it off.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

You'll be fine. I wouldn't sweat it. Dump a couple bottles of octane booster in and forget about it. The difference isn't astronomical.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:17 PM

Some moron at a shell filled my car up with 87 octane when I asked for 93. I will never keep my eyes off a gas attendant again, and yes, I live in NJ.
Now that I got a chance to think about it, why are you letting gas attendants pump gas into your car? Are you disabled? Most gas stations out there usually reserve only 1 or 2 stations for 'full service'. The only people that use these services are old people, disabled or women who don't know how to pump gas into their car.

I've never used a 'full service' station before and I always pump my own gas. It's sad people these days can't even do their own oil changes or even tire rotations. These of course, require tools and an IQ of at least 70. With pumping your own gas, you don't even need tools.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sxng9
Now that I got a chance to think about it, why are you letting gas attendants pump gas into your car? Are you disabled? Most gas stations out there usually reserve only 1 or 2 stations for 'full service'. The only people that use these services are old people, disabled or women who don't know how to pump gas into their car.

I've never used a 'full service' station before and I always pump my own gas. It's sad people these days can't even do their own oil changes or even tire rotations. These of course, require tools and an IQ of at least 70. With pumping your own gas, you don't even need tools.
Your question been answered here before. In NJ is a law you can not pump your own gas. So next time you might want to read the thread before you write into it.
That way you will look much more smarter and less ignorant.
Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Evo X GSR - 87 octane