Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best spark plug and wires for Evo 8

Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Best spark plug and wires for Evo 8

Is there a BEST spark plug and wire set for an evo 8? Obviously it depends on how much boost and engine combo for the plugs but do these motors like copper plugs over platinum or iridium or say Denso over NGK brand? In the foxbody mustang world we use copper plugs since they supposedly burn hotter over platinum since platinum is made to last longer but wondering about for an evo since I'm getting an 8 soon. and what wires are good, OEM or Magnecor or w/e

Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to mod it quite a bit (which is inevitable with the evo), save the money on wires and get the non-CDI sparktech unit which is a great buy. Helped me when I was having misfire issues/blow outs with the high boost. I have personally had good luck with the iridium plugs. All depends on the future plans. If you start out with good products, you will still be able to use them if you build big.

Last edited by SEEnoEVO; Dec 27, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Buschur dynoed the Magnacore wires and showed a HP increase over the stock set. There have been some quality issues though. So, the non-CID COP ignitions seem like the best overall option.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

The one I plan on getting has plenty of work done to it, but basics are fresh forged internal shortblock, stage 3? head from Buschur, fp black, 1000cc injectors, MBC, aquamist meth setup, triple disk clutch, stage 1 trans, etc. etc....

I'm sure it's got over 500awhp but supposedly when the work was done he had the individial coil setup installed but it barely made a difference so it was taken off since it wasn't worth the $900 or w/e it was. When I drove it I felt no misfire and that power is all I need so I plan on keeping the coils that are on it now. Can't hurt to change the plugs since I don't know whats in there now and don't know how old they are, etc....

But not sure what these engines like....If I'm gonna be paying for Iridium I don't want to get a setup the engine might not like and waste $40 where it likes another brand or style better

Last edited by My03evo; Dec 27, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

spool up.com non cdi works really well and cant beat the price
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by My03evo
The one I plan on getting has plenty of work done to it, but basics are fresh forged internal shortblock, stage 3? head from Buschur, fp black, 1000cc injectors, MBC, aquamist meth setup....If I'm gonna be paying for Iridium I don't want to get a setup the engine might not like and waste $40 where it likes another brand or style better
With your build and taking into account the Meth injection and high boost capabilities, I would start fairly cold and gap reasonably tight. I would start with either NGK BPR8ES's, or the one step colder BR8ES's gapped at .021"-.022". Change them at every oil change. They cost $6.00 for the set of four, versus $60.00 for the Iridiums.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

will sparktech get me more power
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
the best wires are stock. the best coils is a different subject
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
With your build and taking into account the Meth injection and high boost capabilities, I would start fairly cold and gap reasonably tight. I would start with either NGK BPR8ES's, or the one step colder BR8ES's gapped at .021"-.022". Change them at every oil change. They cost $6.00 for the set of four, versus $60.00 for the Iridiums.
opper plugs are the way to go, I use NGK BPR7ES's, and i think mine are gapped a little higher at .024"
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:16 PM

the two plugs you listed are actually the exact same heat range almost the exact same plug the only difference is the BPR8ES is has a projected insulator if you want a colder plug it would be a BPR9ES
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bassiusmaximous
the two plugs you listed are actually the exact same heat range almost the exact same plug the only difference is the BPR8ES is has a projected insulator if you want a colder plug it would be a BPR9ES
Actually the non projected version is about a half a heat range cooler.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i prefer the denso plugs over ngk with my 4g63/64 experience.

i run iw27's on e85 & it start's up fine with 29f mornings, gap is @ 0.020" w/either oem coils/oem wires or sparktech non-cdi.......

sorry, i live in san diego & it hasnt got any colder than that where i live.

i recently tried the basic ngk br8/7es plugs & began to misfire rather quickly.....threw in some 10k old iw27's & misfire was gone & the car pulled harder in the upper revs & ecu data validated my butt-dyno
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
the best wires are stock. the best coils is a different subject
That's what I heard also.. Someone even said almost up to 600HP,then go COP.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
That's what I heard also.. Someone even said almost up to 600HP,then go COP.
yea but what about higher boost like 32psi+?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I got the car and tonight on a pull it misfired twice plus it's time to change the plugs since I don't know what the hell's in there. From what I'm searching I should be going with the BPR8ES or BR8ES...Debating on which one to go with.

Where are you getting yours for $6 for all 4?

Anymore comments on if I should go with the projected tip plug (BPR8ES) or non?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best spark plug and wires for Evo 8