Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Made My Own Car Ramps For About $40

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made My Own Car Ramps For About $40

Since lowering my Evo X on H&R springs, I no longer could use my gray Rhino car ramps when it came to lifting the front end up in the air...a real bummer since I do most of my car work myself.

So I started investigating the possibilities of low profile ramps on the web. Found a brand that may have worked, but they were $189 plus $35 shipping. Then I came across of all places a Mustang site where a member had made his own car ramps. A trip to Lowes and $40 dollars later, this is the finished product:

NewCarRamps2.jpg?t=1278332484
EvoRamps2.jpg?t=1278624619

I'm surprised how well they work, the fact that they don't move when driving up on them, and how smooth it is to drive up each "step" of the ramp. The only draw back for me at least is the weight...about 50 lbs per ramp. 13 1/2" of clearance at the front of the car when up on the ramps, plenty of room for oil changes and dropping the undertray.

If anyone is interested in saving some money, and has very basic wood working skills, you can make these in as little as an hour. All you need is:

(2) 2"x10" 10 ft lengths

(2) 2"x10" 8 ft lengths

Cut the 10 ft lengths into 78" and 42" lengths, and cut the 8 ft lengths into 60" and 24" lengths. You'll have a little leftover from the 8 ft lengths to make your 3" stops at the top of each ramp. If you need a ramp even wider than 10", you can substitute with 12" planks.

Then it's as easy as stacking the pieces and fastening them together. I used 2 1/2" screws and pre-drilled each hole so as to not split the wood, ensuring to use 2 screws at each end of each ramp piece...3 for the stop on top. I later put some deck stain on them and installed handles to make them easier to lug around.

Last edited by DarwinX; Jul 8, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:01 AM

how much did the H&R springs drop you in the front and rear? I'm looking for something for my MR need to take up some of my wheel gap. What are your spring rates?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by caseyc

how much did the H&R springs drop you in the front and rear? I'm looking for something for my MR need to take up some of my wheel gap. What are your spring rates?
Before:

After:

This picture was taken 8 days after spring install in the flattest parking lot I could find in the area. I reused the stock spring isolators and have not had an alignment performed yet. About 1 1/2 fingers of clearance in front, 1 finger in back.

As for spring rates, H&R doesn't give those out but it's been estimated that they are 4.2 Kg in the front, 3.4 to 4.4 Kg for the rear, and an advertised drop of 1.4" ft/ 1.3" rear.

Last edited by DarwinX; Jul 5, 2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

these are great, ill def be building my own soon..is it high enough to be able to move around underneath tho?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job on the ramps.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great idea, think i will be making some of those soon
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laxplayer14
these are great, ill def be building my own soon..is it high enough to be able to move around underneath tho?
Yeah I would like to know as well, it looks like they onl give you about 4" of lift. Also that's a good DIY, the ramps look great and who cares about 50lb weight anyone who works on a car should have no problem moving those. But if you want to improve them add some coasters to the front that way when you lift the back-up, the front can be rolled making them easier to move.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

With 4 2x10's stacked, the tires should be 6-7in off the ground. Should be enough room for most people to work under the car.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by laxplayer14

Plenty of room for conducting an oil change or dropping the splash shield.

As stated above, the ramp is a little over 6" tall at it's tallest point, which raises the very front of the car well over a foot.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 04:56 PM

I made the same type of ramps several years back(except only 2 levels). Gave me enough room to get my jack under the car. Really worthwhile.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

very nicely done. ive always wanted to build something like this, but using a jack and jack stands is just too easy to do oil haha. maybe ill get to this eventually. but good work nonetheless, make sure to stain and prep that bad boy so the wood stays all nice!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
good job.

but i would be tempted to put a bigger block on the end AND make the last section longer (so your brain wakes up)

if you drive off the end you will break your skirt
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra

good job.

but i would be tempted to put a bigger block on the end AND make the last section longer (so your brain wakes up)

if you drive off the end you will break your skirt
I hear you.

The 3" piece I have on the top and the 24" length on the last level works pretty good though. I just have to remember to count the steps when going up.

I just installed handles on the ramps today (two each). Much easier now to lug them around.

Last edited by DarwinX; Jul 5, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Nice job OP... when did you have your H&R ordered and shipped? I heard they're now back order, at least in some performance shops. I'm still waiting mine for another week or so.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 416_EVO

Nice job OP... when did you have your H&R ordered and shipped? I heard they're now back order, at least in some performance shops. I'm still waiting mine for another week or so.
Thanks everyone.

I ordered my H&R springs 4/20/2010 (Advanced Speed Trading) and received them about a week later.

Quick Reply: Made My Own Car Ramps For About $40