Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Clunking noise when I hit the brakes?

Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking noise when I hit the brakes?

My car is stock, so let me just put that out.

I noticed sometimes that when I am slowing to a stop on the brakes anywhere from 10-15mph, there is a clunking metal sound coming from the front of the car. Doesn't sound like anything serious and I kind of dismissed it as maybe there being a rock in the brakes, but after thinking about it, I never heard it on my IX. Doesn't happen too often but every now and then.

I know this sounds weird but the first thing that comes to mind when I hear it is the sound of your tapping the end of a metal shovel with a hammer lightly. Best way I could describe it.

Anyway, anyone ever hear this?

My GSR has like 4,300 miles and is bone stock.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:45 AM

I experience the exact same thing on mine; when I reverse slowly or when crawling forward.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UntouchableEvo
I experience the exact same thing on mine; when I reverse slowly or when crawling forward.
+1 YES! Wierd isn't it!?

What the heck could it be?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

mine do the same thing. really only when i back out of my garage in the morning. seems like the brake pads are loose or something.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:49 AM

I doubt it's anything serious as the previous post said, however, apperantly Brembo brakes come glued (pad to caliper) and recently when I had my brakes serviced they cleaned off excess dust and most likley the glue.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WWIXMR
+1 YES! Wierd isn't it!?

What the heck could it be?
The pads for your breaks sit inside the calipers (obviously) and are sort of "held" in place by those two pins that go through the pad and caliper. There is a somewhat of a shim the downward pressure on both inside and outside pads to keep them steady and from rattling but the pads still move around a little bit. They really only move when you change direction though.

This is difficult for me to explain but is simple in theory.

Take this scenario: You pull into a parking space and you use your breaks to stop your car of course. The 4 pistons (in the front caliper anyway) apply pressure to both pads (2per side) and the pad is then applying friction to the brake rotor, The pads move forward a tiny bit with the rotating rotor and stay in that position until they are forced back when reversing. So you go get your French Fries and gravy from your favorite burger joint then return to your car. You start it and then pop it into reverse then slowly backup out of the space. When you have backed up enough you use your breaks to stop and switch gears. You will hear this sound your describing now. Its the pads being forced in the reverse direction and they are just tapping the other end of the caliper and applying pressure on the pins.

This might be tough to follow but just take a look at your brakes and thing about it. It will make sense to you then.

Ethan

EDIT: this is for the IX's and VIII's but im 99% sure it is the same setup on the X's especially since your description of how they sound is EXACTLY what it sounds like on my car.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:57 AM

That basically explains it, I like the burger joint reference... I am hungry now

Originally Posted by ethan169
The pads for your breaks sit inside the calipers (obviously) and are sort of "held" in place by those two pins that go through the pad and caliper. There is a somewhat of a shim the downward pressure on both inside and outside pads to keep them steady and from rattling but the pads still move around a little bit. They really only move when you change direction though.

Take this scenario: You pull into a parking space and you use your breaks to stop your car of course. The 4 pistons (in the front caliper anyway) apply pressure to both pads (2per side) and the pad is then applying friction to the brake rotor, The pads move forward a tiny bit with the rotating rotor and stay in that position until they are forced back when reversing. So you go get your French Fries and gravy from your favorite burger joint then return to your car. You start it and then pop it into reverse then slowly backup out of the space. When you have backed up enough you use your breaks to stop and switch gears. You will hear this sound your describing now. Its the pads being forced in the reverse direction and they are just tapping the other end of the caliper and applying pressure on the pins.

This might be tough to follow but just take a look at your brakes and thing about it. It will make sense to you then.

Ethan
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ethan169

Ethan

EDIT: this is for the IX's and VIII's but im 99% sure it is the same setup on the X's especially since your description of how they sound is EXACTLY what it sounds like on my car.

That does make sense when I think about it. Thank you very much.
It's a big relief to see that it isn't a problem and that I'm not the only one experiencing this.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UntouchableEvo
That basically explains it, I like the burger joint reference... I am hungry now
Yes, definately a nice reference. And the little Beer at the end of your post now makes me want to go across the street and get a nice cold one on tap.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Glad I could help clear it up

Love me some !

Ethan
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you start the engine and start moving, there is also the diff-lock sound that comes once you pick up speed somewhere near 3-5 mph. That's the differential lock. so when your engine is off, and you lift your car up, you are able to rotate wheels independently, this is possible since the differentials are unlocked at this point. similarly, in stop and go traffic, when you come to a halt, the diff does not unlock since you never turned off the engine, so you will not hear it repeatedly at that point.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to bump this year-old thread but this fits the best topic of question that I was going to post so might as well bump it.

I have my MR for a year and did not notice any clunking noise until recent (don't remember when exactly it started to notice) something like after 10,000 miles (16200 kms). Mine is bone stock and just passed 21000 kms today.

Q: does that mean noise only started to note when brake pads started to wear out?

Thanks all.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:29 AM

It could just be that there is a loose part in the caliper
happened to me recently too when I was braking. Take a look at your brakes and you should be able to tell if a part is loose in the caliper or not.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:53 PM

Bump again, mine started making the same noise just recently, i have a fair amount of miles, new engine with about 2000, but the body has a good 164000 (03 VIII) i'm wondering if its my brakes too but mine makes the clunk/click noise when accelerating and when stopping. i was told it could be a dp hittingthe crossmember issue, or struts possibly. i just put IX bilstiens with swift springs on. I've also got the cross drilled and slotted rotors. any help would be awesome, im hoping its just a brake pad thing, but the whole explanation of the pads moving would really only work for changing directions. when stoppping and moving forward the pads would remain pushed in the same direction since the rotor didnt move unless my pads are moving down to the bottom of the caliper while im driving and the brakes arent engaged. :/
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the exact same problem. All the explanations here make sense. Now, how do we settle this problem? Any solution anyone?
The following users liked this post:
c.scatena (May 17, 2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunking noise when I hit the brakes?