Notices

burning smell

Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burning smell

A couple of times when I get out of my car or at a stop light I've noticed a burning smell, almost like a clutch smell. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, but only when I've been driving in situations that would have started to cook a normal M/T clutch.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your car is new it will do that for a little while. It goes away unless you are driving it hard.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by japan101
If your car is new it will do that for a little while. It goes away unless you are driving it hard.

bingo
Old Jan 1, 2010, 07:48 AM

I got it brand new. I've only put 1700 miles on it and I don't really drive the car hard. Thanks for the help
Old Jan 1, 2010, 04:13 PM

I'm having the same issue. Picked up the car 2 weeks ago with 8500kms on the clock.

The other day I used the snow setting for the first time and after 15 mins of careful driving there was a really strong smell of burning clutch.

This is my first non-Ford car and I gotta say that smell seriously concerned me. I keep hearing horror stories about the SST and its got me pretty wound up.

Is it just coincidence the smell occurred after selecting the snow setting?

Any help/comments would be much appreciated
Old Jan 1, 2010, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by macgenius
I'm having the same issue. Picked up the car 2 weeks ago with 8500kms on the clock.

The other day I used the snow setting for the first time and after 15 mins of careful driving there was a really strong smell of burning clutch.

This is my first non-Ford car and I gotta say that smell seriously concerned me. I keep hearing horror stories about the SST and its got me pretty wound up.

Is it just coincidence the smell occurred after selecting the snow setting?

Any help/comments would be much appreciated

Maybe more clutch slippage for extra traction in the snow? I'm not sure, but unless the burning smell continues, I wouldn't worry about it. You could always take it into the dealer if you are really concerned.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

I've noticed this rubber burning smell after putting snow tires on.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 27k on the odometer now and on my way home I have a very steep incline right before my house so on some occasions I do smell some burn like a mix of tires and tranny. It really doesn't concern me as much anymore to the fact that the car drives fine.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

I get the burning smell occasionally too; and it does smell like burning rubber to me as well.

-Taranis
Old Jan 4, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
I've noticed this rubber burning smell after putting snow tires on.

yeah me too. Everything was fine 13k and no smell.. AND THEN trip to the dealer for a blown ACD pump, which hasn't been repaired yet.. and now the burning rubber smell is very strong... But i do have snow tires on (smell never started when i put them on, only after dealer visit)

Also the smell seems to come from the rear of the car.. I can notice it very heavily when i stand at the back of the car or if i reverse into a parking spot.

Maybe the blown ACD pump causing it?

Pretty much same as brad tho.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ngine-bay.html

Last edited by Jyrk; Jan 4, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 06:40 PM

hey guys,
having the same problem also. it started as a few times when i drive, but now its up to every time i drive i smell this burning rubber smell. I thought it was the tranny. it wasnt. Then i thought it could be brake pad dusk. then i thought well i lowered my car and i have not bought the camber kit and i looked at my front inside tire and the are nearly non-existant. so i thought it maybe that. but that makes no sense...so now im back to brake pad dusk caught in my vents. if some one figures this out post it cause this is getting annoying.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jyrk
yeah me too. Everything was fine 13k and no smell.. AND THEN trip to the dealer for a blown ACD pump, which hasn't been repaired yet.. and now the burning rubber smell is very strong... But i do have snow tires on (smell never started when i put them on, only after dealer visit)

Also the smell seems to come from the rear of the car.. I can notice it very heavily when i stand at the back of the car or if i reverse into a parking spot.

Pretty much same as brad tho.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ngine-bay.html
Did they do the AWC reflash when u took it in? I've had a feeling that it might somehow be caused by the flash. Also did Paul give u a hard time about your mods when u took it in?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jyrk

I asked Valley Mits about that too about the smell coming from the exhaust area and they said it was the exhaust over heating. Driving 5 mins at 60km/h over heats the RA exhaust?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
Did they do the AWC reflash when u took it in? I've had a feeling that it might somehow be caused by the flash. Also did Paul give u a hard time about your mods when u took it in?

I actually went back to stock, Really didn't want the trouble with no warranty (or fighting with the morons in service) since i will be giving the car to the wifey.

About the AWC reflash, those morons don't know what the **** they are doing in there.. i dropped my car off at 6am. never once got a call to tell me it was done all day. so i dropped in there at 3pm and they said it was done.
All he could repeat over and over to me when i asked questions about recalls and reflashes was.. "uuhhh they have a check list they go over, and if its on the list they do it".
The print out told me nothing about what they did, even tho he said they did a recall for the airbag sensor or something.
I signed a few pages that stated i gave them authority to work on my car and away i went, with really no clue what was even done to my car. other then the fact that i now know my ACD pump is burnt out and they ordered me a new one, i still have no real proof they even did the airbag sensor or reflash since i can't get a straight answer from them.

Funny thing also. i called today to see if the pump has arrived since its been over 2 weeks since they said it was ordered. He couldn't tell me if it was ordered or not, His exact words no lies. "I am just a stupid service guy, i gotta wait to see the part to know if it got here". I hung up and repeatedly punched myself in the face for ever buying a car from these guys.

And no for all you " go to another dealership " guys. I would but the 3 1/2 hour drive to the next closest one really isn't it worth it.

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
I asked Valley Mits about that too about the smell coming from the exhaust area and they said it was the exhaust over heating. Driving 5 mins at 60km/h over heats the RA exhaust?
Yes exhaust really smells like burning rubber
when I drive for 30 mins or so and stop at a red light, the whole car starts to stink like burning rubber. Its not even a slight smell either.. Kinda annoyed by it really.

I am just waiting for my car to catch fire one day, and they give me a fire extinguisher for the recall.

Last edited by Jyrk; Jan 4, 2010 at 10:56 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: burning smell