Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]

Old Sep 25, 2003, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhm of course all cars rust eventually. I'm talking about new cars. New cars aren't supposed to start rusting until many years down the road.

You enjoy repairing your new car. I'll buy something that doesn't need that, which right now is ANY OTHER NEW CAR.

Who knows, maybe the MY05s will have that issue fixed from the factory. I'm guessing the 04s which are already being built won't
Old Sep 25, 2003, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Some examples based on my personal experience:

1985 VW GTI --> no signs of rust till 5 years old
1987 Audi 90 --> no signs of rust until about 6 years old
1990 VW Corrado --> no rust anywhere until 11 years old
2001 VW Jetta --> no rust during my ownership (that was 2 years worth)
2003 Mitsu Lancer EVO --> rust with first 3 months

Yeah, all cars rust evnetually - no one here disputes that fact. Some of us simply feel that the no-rust duration should be a tad longer than 3 months on a brand new car.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Mark another for me. I'm thinking all Evo's have this. Has anyone who has taken your bumper off, not find any rust?

Last edited by Thoe99; Sep 25, 2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

having problems attaching pics, but here it is
Attached Thumbnails Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]-img_1765.jpg  
Old Sep 25, 2003, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

another
Attached Thumbnails Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]-img_1771.jpg  
Old Sep 25, 2003, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

right side:
Attached Thumbnails Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]-img_1772.jpg  
Old Sep 26, 2003, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by xtnct
Some examples based on my personal experience:

1985 VW GTI --> no signs of rust till 5 years old
1987 Audi 90 --> no signs of rust until about 6 years old
1990 VW Corrado --> no rust anywhere until 11 years old
2001 VW Jetta --> no rust during my ownership (that was 2 years worth)
2003 Mitsu Lancer EVO --> rust with first 3 months

Yeah, all cars rust evnetually - no one here disputes that fact. Some of us simply feel that the no-rust duration should be a tad longer than 3 months on a brand new car.
Yeah, I'm sure you dismantled your cars entirely JUST to find rust.

I'm from Europe, owned 3 VW's (2 1st gen Golf and a 97 Passat) and they were rust buckets inside and out.

See my previous post regarding generalizations.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 09:00 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by JRock

I shouldn't have bothered putting the price in there... ANY NEW CAR... NONE OF THEM should have RUST. wtf.

I don't even own one and I'm angry. I'm angry because the car is everything I want - turbo, AWD, 4-door, name-brand parts on it stock, good performance, good handling, everything. But it's made by so it's turning out to be a typical low-quality automobile. Subaru is barely better.

I wish Honda, Toyota, and Nissan made AWD, turbo, high-performance cars for $30k because then there'd be some quality and reliability to back up the performance instead of taking a gamble on a second-tier Japanese brand which has a much much greater potential to be a problematic lemon than a first-tier brand car does.

Some of you have no problems with your Evos - good for you! Consider yourselves lucky. I no longer believe I can take a $30,000 chance to reach that position too, especially when the odds are greatly against me and I'd be stuck with it if it had problems because dealers certainly don't want to fix anything on the car and the resale is going to be absolute crap on them when word gets around about all the issues going on with them.

I have to say that right now I'd feel more confident putting down close to the same price for a Ford Mustang Mach 1, and I'd never buy a Ford because they're always plagued with problems and quality control issues, but you know what, at least the ****er wouldn't have RUST ON IT.
What a poser yea like you ever had the nut to take the helm of a real performance car- your priorities obviously lie elsewere
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Has anyone gone to the dealer to have them fix this? I don't wanna spend money to get this done myself. It's ridiculous.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thoe99
Has anyone gone to the dealer to have them fix this? I don't wanna spend money to get this done myself. It's ridiculous.
i am with you guys on this one.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 12:16 PM

I don't get it you guys keep bringing up that the evo is a performance car, so freakin what, this has no bearing on this issue at hand. Furthermore, I can't believe some of you guys are still trying to defending on this issue. A new car should not have any rust on it, I don't care who makes the damn car. I know if my new STi had a rust issue I would be pissed as all hell and would definitely ***** at SOA to fix it immediately.

Admittedly this is a minor issue that most wouldn't have noticed and is easily fixed, but it still shouldn't be happening on new cars. I say you guys with the rust problem go to your dealership and let them fix it. If you fix it yourself, no matter how easy it is to do you are letting get away with their mistake, and as a result will not make the necessary changes to make sure it doesn't happen on future models. I will definitely tell my friend with the evo to go check his out now.

Well thats my take on the situation.

Last edited by wewu; Sep 27, 2003 at 12:20 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thoe99
Mark another for me. I'm thinking all Evo's have this. Has anyone who has taken your bumper off, not find any rust?
I would think that it is a good idea to shoot rust proofing up into the rails as they appear to have the same surface treatment as the area under the bumper beam. The Mitsubishi recommended rust proofing is a wax based product.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

So what is Mitsubishi going to do about this issue?
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tyrotrader
Both the EVO engines at the dealership (new) had surface rust on it - very aparent when you look at the block from the top after lifting the hood. I've not seen this before - is the block steel? has anyone else seen this? Does it matter?
u r on the evo forums and didn't know the evo has an iron block
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:33 AM

There is a special kind of device and rust proofing package I had done to my car. I would just check with your mitsu dealer to find out about it. I have also had my car for 5 months and have no rust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]