Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS Super SQV Blow off valve VS Stock Diverter Valve

Old May 28, 2008, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Super SQV Blow off valve VS Stock Diverter Valve

hey everybody!

this is my first post on the forrum so please forgive any ignorance......

i just traded in my 08 GTI for a 06 Evo 9 SE....the previous owner had a HKS Super SQV Blow off valve so he could hear the 'wooshing' sound inbetween shifts, but i prefer a silent setup.....

he kept and i now have the stock diverter valve and i am debating between returning it back to stock, or buying a kit to turn the HKS blow off valve into a diverter valve........i haven't decided to do the work myself or having it professionally done.....

question is: is the HKS SQV really a more solid valve, or is just an opportunity to make your car make noise?......i know very little about turbo systems and i'm brand new to the Evo scene

i don't plan on doing too many mods......i purchased this car because it serves my purposes in it's stock form.....even though i love it, i had to do too much to my GTI to get it to be relialble on the track.....

i MIGHT do a state 1 chip in the future, but that would be about it.....the previous owner also installed a custom 3 inch exhaust with a racing CAT......would the stock valve handle a set up like that O.K. or would that be tough on it?.....i know the stock valve on my GTI could barely handle stock boost and definately had to be upgraded to go to even a stage one chip.....

i appreciate any comments!....thanks much!
Old May 28, 2008, 11:03 AM
Account Disabled

stock IX BOV still a great piece, I would throw it back on.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

By the way, we don't do Staged Chips but yes you're stocker will handle more then what you're going to do with it.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Import Junky
By the way, we don't do Staged Chips but yes you're stocker will handle more then what you're going to do with it.
man that is cool!.....what you said about the stocker being tough, that is......i've been facinated by these cars for a reason

but now i'm curious......the stock valve is a blow off valve or a diverter valve?

i'm new at the turbo thing, but i thought the difference was that a blow off valve released turbo pressure into the atsmophere and a diverter valve pushed it back into the intake, helping keep the turbo spooled........

and also.....is the stock valve on the IX the same as the SE?.......the SE seems kinda rare and i've been having a hard time finding out stuff about it......

Last edited by V Dub Mike; May 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

You want to recirculate it back into the intake.

When you're WideOpenThrottle, the MAF sees air, sends a signal to the ECU to give proper fueling; when you close your throttle plate after going WOT or between shifts, that air that has already has been metered by the MAF is to be sent back into the turbo rather than being vented into the air. When that already metered air goes into the atmosphere (vent), it results in a rich condition, (proper fueling as told to the ECU by the MAF, less air -aka vent= rich condition). This results in slow acceleration when running through gears because it takes longer to bring the AFRs back to where you want them between shifts.

That is the somewhat vague explanation. Bottom line, recirc the HKS SSQ or run the OEM IX bov. The HKS has a reverse push/pull design so it wont crack open under boost and will hold some HIGH boost. If you can get your hands on a recirc kit for it, you're golden.

Last edited by inco9nito99; May 28, 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

lol there is no stage 1 chips for evos hahah
Old May 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

maybe stage 1 AMS kit but no chips
Old May 28, 2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
You want to recirculate it back into the intake.

When you're WideOpenThrottle, the MAF sees air, sends a signal to the ECU to give proper fueling; when you close your throttle plate after going WOT or between shifts, that air that has already has been metered by the MAF is to be sent back into the turbo rather than being vented into the air. When that already metered air goes into the atmosphere (vent), it results in a rich condition, (proper fueling as told to the ECU by the MAF, less air -aka vent= rich condition). This results in slow acceleration when running through gears because it takes longer to bring the AFRs back to where you want them between shifts.

That is the somewhat vague explanation. Bottom line, recirc the HKS SSQ or run the OEM IX bov. The HKS has a reverse push/pull design so it wont crack open under boost and will hold some HIGH boost. If you can get your hands on a recirc kit for it, you're golden.

thats o.k. becuase vague is just about where my knoledge level is right now anyways......i allready had a feel that i should try to recirculate rather than vent to the athmosphere, but now i know exactly why......so thanks for all that

so does anybody know if the stock valve is the same for the IX, SE and MR?......i've been told that the SE is one half step down from the MR......

and also, is it a blow off valve or a diverter valve.....or is that just two words for the same thing.....

i'm still learning lots, so please forgive the stupid questions.....
Old May 28, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

diverter valve. All 2006 utilize the same metal bov.
Old May 28, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
diverter valve. All 2006 utilize the same metal bov.
way to confuse him! LOL.

technically its a DV because it recircs, but everyone uses BOV interchangeably.

And all 2006 DVs are the same. which is the same as the JDM MR DV.
Old May 28, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Haha sorry misworded, all 2006 utilize metal diverter valves :P.
Old May 28, 2008, 03:57 PM

ahh.....it's all good in the hood

like it's been said, i'm just trying to figure it all out......this thread has been awesome....

so based on what inco9nito99 is saying, could i be running rich just becuase i have a BOV instead of a diverter valve?....

i filled up the tank on monday and i'm down to a half a tank allready.....thats about twice the consumption that i did with my previous 2 liter turbo car (the GTI)
Old May 28, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Evo's give horrible gas mileage as-is ~24mpg babying it. You are wasting fuel by venting to atmosphere (bov).
Old May 28, 2008, 05:24 PM

Evo's give horrible gas mileage as-is ~24mpg babying it. You are wasting fuel by venting to atmosphere (bov).

well thats good....that means my milage is going to get better when i fix this then....

does anybody know how much these things are worth (roughly)?

is there anybody out here in the north west want to help me put the stocker back on?......there's a really nice blow off valve i can offer you for your service