Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch chatter in 1st gear...

Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch chatter in 1st gear...

I used to own a 95 fwd tsi before I bought my evo. I replaced the clutch when it started to slip/ chatter in 1st gear. When we pulled the tranny off the replace the clutch we noticed that the clutch was fine but still replaced it with an ACT street disk anyways.

Now i've only have 24,000 miles on my evo (with stock clutch) right now and the slutch slips/ chatter in 1st gear like crazy, even more than my tsi did. It doesn't do it as much once the clutch warmed up but it still does it. Dealer said I might have to replace it soon which is a load of $hit. I can put the car in 5th gear going 30 mph and floor it without it slipping. I never had a problem with it slipping in high gear or high rpm.

What would cause this chatter/ slippage in first gear since it seems to be a common thing with these cars?

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Oct 8, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Q - is this ACT disc with the ACT pressure plate? Or ACT disc with OE plate?

Did you resurface the flywheel? How did the pressure plate look (cracks/glazing?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

My clutch started slipping in ONLY the lower gears before the higher gears. Probably is slipping man.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Q - is this ACT disc with the ACT pressure plate? Or ACT disc with OE plate?

Did you resurface the flywheel? How did the pressure plate look (cracks/glazing?
What are you talking about? This is the stock clutch. I was referencing the ACT clutch on my Talon.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackerJackToy
My clutch started slipping in ONLY the lower gears before the higher gears. Probably is slipping man.
Well do you mean high rpm slippage because mine only slips or seems like it's slipping in 1st gear right when I start to engage it. It gives a shuddering effect that shakes the whole car.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

my stock clutch did that from almost day one..i think its normal
Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Well do you mean high rpm slippage because mine only slips or seems like it's slipping in 1st gear right when I start to engage it. It gives a shuddering effect that shakes the whole car.
im trying to understand what you mean, are you sure its not the TOB making alot of noise, mine had quite a bit of noise until i adjusted my clutch pedal. It actually made my car shake a tad bit cause of the vibration, but thats nothing like clutch chattering.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

The key term is "1st gear" which means it's not idling. I know what a tob noise is and it has nothing to do with that.

This has nothing to do with a "noise" or a vibration. It has to do with driving the car. When I take off from a stop in 1st gear and slowly engage the clutch it feels like it slips or "skips" causes the car to jolt until it is enagged. I don't know if it's the cluth slipping or something else. Clutches usuaully only slip under a load whether it's a high gear or high rpm, mines not doing that.

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Oct 8, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
What are you talking about? This is the stock clutch. I was referencing the ACT clutch on my Talon.
Well that was ambiguous in your 1st post. No need for the 'tude. Have you adjusted the pedal at all? I had real high pick on my stock clutch and thought it was on its way out - just needed some tuning.

http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...32a19e00b215a0
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor

my exedy has been chattering since day one. it gets bad enough sometimes that shakes the car going into first. i just adjusted the clutch pedal the other day, and what a difference. i can actually enjoy driving my car again. dont know if this helps. if your on the stock clutch, its probably adjusted correctly.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:21 PM

My stock clutch does this in 1st gear when cold since new. Once it warms up there seems to be no problem.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

try adjusting the clutch pedal up a little bit.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I did adjust the pedal about 6 months ago for those who ask. I thought about the pedal adjustment the other day and I'm confused on how it adjusts the actual clutch. When I adjusted my pedal I adjusted it inward more so the enagement point came sooner. When I did that it actually lowered the cltuch pedal so it was almsot dead even with the brake pedal. I'm assuming that by adjusting the clutch pedal inward it does not effect the actually clutch being engages but rather the distance of disengagement. Correct me if i'm wrong....
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

somewhat correct, i know that when i lowered my clutch pedal engagment point lower (towards the floor). i seemed to get more clutch chatter in 1st gear. When I moved it back up higher a bit, it seemed to get rid of the clutch chatter.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm going to try adjusting it back. I did notice more clutch chatter/ slippage in 1st gear after I adjusted the pedal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch chatter in 1st gear...