Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Burning Rubber smell

Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning Rubber smell

Not sure if this is a problem, but recently I've noticed a slight burning rubber smell coming from my air vents when I drive the car at around 4500 rpm. it usually starts being noticeable at speeds above 90mph.

It also becomes apparent when I rev it close to 5000 rpm when accelerating from a stand still. I have the Lancer GTS with CVT and all the packages.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:02 AM

I had that for a while during the first week of owning my ES, brand new. I wasn't able to pinpoint exactly what it was but occasionally my AC blower would make a whining noise and I think they might be related, however none of this has happened for a long time now so maybe things got settled a bit. I have a strong feeling that it doesn't have anything to do with the engine especially because the few times I did notice it I had my AC on cabin circulation. Just some thoughts.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by psxnitro
Not sure if this is a problem, but recently I've noticed a slight burning rubber smell coming from my air vents when I drive the car at around 4500 rpm. it usually starts being noticeable at speeds above 90mph.

It also becomes apparent when I rev it close to 5000 rpm when accelerating from a stand still. I have the Lancer GTS with CVT and all the packages.
I get that too sometimes but only when I really reving it trying to get on the freeway in front of some slow *** dode.

By the way, where in Houston are you from?
Old Sep 2, 2007, 04:12 PM

Yeah, I noticed the smell initially when I was trying to pass some slow *** dude in the freeway, by down shifting to 5th, and revving it up to 5k.

Damn... this car is going to get my in huge trouble with the cops eventually... it's like it possesses you when you get behind the wheel.

Oh yeah, I live in the southwest side of houston, and still trying to find a god damn shop that can install HID's on my car.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Probably the shiny silicone **** they spray all over the engine bay melting off from the heat..