Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

What frequency port tuning for mix of SQ/SPL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What frequency port tuning for mix of SQ/SPL

I am currently running one Kicker CVR 12 w/ 800 watts RMS in a bandpass. I love the sound, it hits so HARD. As anyone I am looking for something louder. I am upgrading to (2) Kicker CVR 12s in a slot ported box. My question is I am looking at several fabricators that build to the specs that Kicker recommends, what varies is the port tuning. Both boxes have a NET airspace ~2.0 cu ft per sub. The tuning for one is fb=41 Hz f3=31 Hz. The other has a fb=38 Hz and he did calculate the f3. Is there going to be a significant difference b/t these two boxes?
I listen to mostly Heavy Metal with a moderate amount of rap. I know alot of people do not like the sound of port, vented, bandpass, but i really do LOVE my bandpass. I would upgrade to a dual bandpass,but every Kicker media I have read or heard rave at how awesome there subs are in these vented enclosure.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dewman1999
I am currently running one Kicker CVR 12 w/ 800 watts RMS in a bandpass. I love the sound, it hits so HARD. As anyone I am looking for something louder. I am upgrading to (2) Kicker CVR 12s in a slot ported box. My question is I am looking at several fabricators that build to the specs that Kicker recommends, what varies is the port tuning. Both boxes have a NET airspace ~2.0 cu ft per sub. The tuning for one is fb=41 Hz f3=31 Hz. The other has a fb=38 Hz and he did calculate the f3. Is there going to be a significant difference b/t these two boxes?
I listen to mostly Heavy Metal with a moderate amount of rap. I know alot of people do not like the sound of port, vented, bandpass, but i really do LOVE my bandpass. I would upgrade to a dual bandpass,but every Kicker media I have read or heard rave at how awesome there subs are in these vented enclosure.
Any help would be appreciated.
Hm you love your band pass!? Well a band pass has a very narrow frequency range but it hits very hard in that narrow band... Not very good for SQ bass so you ar missing plenty of musical notes in your music that You probably dont even know are there...LOL any way get the slot ported box and tune it as wide as possible for a full bass sound but you will not get the impact of the pand pass!

If you love the boom sound of a band pass get a 15inch strocker pro and put it in the biggest band pas you can build and give it 4000 watts rms...
Old Mar 1, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

decent SPL/SQ mix tuning frequency would be around 32hz. or... just build a box with interchangable ports and make multiple ports :-) that's what i did. 28hz with port extension attached or 37hz with it removed.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

I always tune my boxes to 32 hz. Lancers seem to have a low resonant frequency, so lower tuning works well with them.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

If you want it louder then tune between 37hz to 41hz. Try the aeroport. It has flanged ends for added spl. You will gain at least 1db on the termlab mic over the slot or vented port. The box has to be 100% solid if you want it loud. Round out all the inner edges too. Face the subs and port in the same direction and keep them all close together so you wont get cancellation.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 06:40 AM
Account Disabled

32-35