Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I need your help!!! any mitsu mechanics here?

Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caLi4G63
since you have aftermartket injectors, unplug each one from the harness and check the resistance of each one, even though you don't know what they should check out at, they should be very close if not the same to each other; i doubt they're all bad, if you do have a bad injector it will have a noticeablly different reading from the rest. This still won't help you notice if you have a clogged injector but I doubt you do.

although i think you're getting far from the problem by checking multiple things; if you started getting the lean code after you did the TB seals, you're problem might be associated with the replacement of the seals. check the vaccum hoses off the TB, check for voltage into the TPS (5volts usually), check the reading coming out of the TPS when you gradually open and close the throttle. Make sure your plugs are properly connected, you don't have a stretched/disconnected or damaged wire. let us know if you find anything, good luck!
i have checked all hoses. i will start checking the voltages this weekend.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Find a friend with one?

Most P0171 I have seen are from badly scaled injectors.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just for reference and for what it's worth off the top of my head:

The TPS has three wires hooked up.
1. Supplied Voltage
2. Ground
3. Signal

The supplied voltage wire usually provides the TPS sensor with 5V or so, The ground obviously is just grounded and the Signal wire has a voltage output which depends on the position of your throttle plate. At idle you should have less than 1V, something like 0.5-0.8V, at WOT you should see atleast 4.5V, sometimes more. As you take the reading from the signal wire, the voltage should increase as the throttle opens until you reach WOT. Have fun and enjoy!

Also, if the readings are "out of place" depending on the throttle position, then the ECU is not being properly informed.

Last edited by caLi4G63; Apr 16, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by caLi4G63
Just for reference and for what it's worth off the top of my head:

The TPS has three wires hooked up.
1. Supplied Voltage
2. Ground
3. Signal

The supplied voltage wire usually provides the TPS sensor with 5V or so, The ground obviously is just grounded and the Signal wire has a voltage output which depends on the position of your throttle plate. At idle you should have less than 1V, something like 0.5-0.8V, at WOT you should see atleast 4.5V, sometimes more. As you take the reading from the signal wire, the voltage should increase as the throttle opens until you reach WOT. Have fun and enjoy!
do i check this with the car on or just in accesary mode?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Find a friend with one?

AL checked them twice. and even if i had a lap top, i have no idea what they are supposed to be, this is y i have a tuner. maybe i should learn i guess.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
and even if i had a lap top, i have no idea what they are supposed to be, this is y i have a tuner. maybe i should learn i guess.
Should be +/- 4 or under.

It's really easy to check. There isn't a local guy that can do this for you?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

are you still running the bosch o2 sensor or did you replace it with a stock denso?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
do i check this with the car on or just in accesary mode?
engine OFF, ignition ON - your car would hate you if you tested WOT with the car on
Old Apr 16, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
What? It seems to me that you will need someones assistance to properly diagnose your problem as you dont own the tools to do so. Bring it to a shop who can or find a friend to help.

We cant fix your problem over the internet without the ability to test various things

I think every mild to wild modded EVO owner needs to own a laptop, tactrix cable, and ECUFlash (If on the stock ECU of course), and datalogging software. With the datalogging capability you could rule out so many things and point yourself in the direction where you need to be man.

Obviously all of you injectors are not going to be bad so as stated previously check the resistance accross all of them. If one differs greatly you done troubleshooted your EVO
Old Apr 16, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you logged your fuel trims? Never take peoples word that the "injectors are scaled fine"

Logging your fuel trims is easy and at least you would know if the trims are within spec or not and you can move onto more trouble-shooting.
Find a friend with one?

Should be +/- 4 or under.

It's really easy to check. There isn't a local guy that can do this for you?
There is your answer three times. Even you quoted the service manual which told you that it is the fuel trims that are maxed out causing the CEL.

Find someone local with a laptop and Tactrix cable and log your LTFT Lo, LTFT Mid, and STFT. Post up the results as well as your injector scaling and latencies and then people can make suggestions.

Assuming you have checked for vacuum leaks and there are none, my money is on bad injector scaling/latency and/or intake setup messing with the MAF readings (which can also be fixed with MAF scaling). When you do your log, log your airflow (Hz) and RPM as well.

Eric
Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
There is your answer three times. Even you quoted the service manual which told you that it is the fuel trims that are maxed out causing the CEL.

Find someone local with a laptop and Tactrix cable and log your LTFT Lo, LTFT Mid, and STFT. Post up the results as well as your injector scaling and latencies and then people can make suggestions.

Assuming you have checked for vacuum leaks and there are none, my money is on bad injector scaling/latency and/or intake setup messing with the MAF readings (which can also be fixed with MAF scaling). When you do your log, log your airflow (Hz) and RPM as well.

Eric
ok im going to bye a tratrix cable and use my buddies lap top

i need to know what "LTFT Lo, LTFT Mid, and STFT" means
Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I 100% agree with razor and l2r99gst. I have seen this from FT being off in the past.

LTFT- Long Term Fuel Trim
STFT- Short Term Fuel Trim

Mitch M
Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:55 PM
EvoM Guru

http://www.aktivematrix.com/forum/dl...ile&file_id=35

This is the easier software to log fuel trims with.

Once open, check these off:

And log. It will update in real time in that window so you can see how they are or just look at the log.

Make sure you car is fully up to operating temp. Log it at idle and cruise if possible.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

so last night i went to check the resistances on the injectors but i couldnt figure out how to get the injector harness unhooked. i didnt want to break it so i stoped trying.

anyone want to shed some light? it looked like it could be squeezed to relese the sides but i tryed and it didnt want to move.

then i came on here to look at the how to and all the pics were red x's
Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
The Injector Harness is held to the injectors with metal C Clips that have to be removed prior to taking the harness connector off the Injector.

Did you log it yet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need your help!!! any mitsu mechanics here?